One day a few weeks ago I was walking back to my rig when I noticed a tube hanging underneath my rig. Oh no!!!! What was that, and why had I not seen that before? My first reaction is panic and all the wild questions roll around in my head. What is that? Is it serious? How do I look at it? Do I need to call the RV doctor right away?

After returning to my campsite I decided to get down and get dirty and see what was going on underneath my rig. Out came the levelers and up went the rig on one side. It gave me enough room to climb underneath and see what was happening. 

Now what is spectacular about the above paragraph is this: I swore when I bought my Class B RV, that if anything ever went wrong I would find someone else to fix it. I was never doing self repair. Hah!!!

Upon further examination I discovered it was the Sanicon Flexible hose that connects from the macerator to the outside world. What the heck? It appears that despite the supports for the hose, it is being a bit too flexible. This is a fairly new hose and I get that with it being flexible it might stretch a bit.

In hind sight when I had this put on a year ago I may have decided to leave the old not so flexible green hose underneath and hooked the sanicon up closer to the macerator hose storage area. As I grow these are lessons I will continue to learn. 

Step one was to call Webb RV in Lakeside, California. They have been around for over forty years and they are good, really good. What makes them even better is they get you in and out ASAP. They are a tiny shop and they don’t want all those rigs hanging around so their goal is to do the work and get you out of there quickly. Then they are ready for the next rig. 

My appointment was a week away, what to do in the meantime? I didn’t want the hose to get caught or scraped on speed bumps and such. Off to Home Depot to pick up a styrofoam tube with a hole in the middle. I took the tube (slit down the middle), some zip ties, and crawled back underneath my rig. I put the Sanicon hose inside the tube and zip tied it to the supporting sections of the tube. As a temporary fix, it worked. 

Earlier this week I went to Webb RV and they applied a more permanent fix to this issue. I don’t think it will drop for a long time to come. I went in at 8 a.m. and was on the road by 11 a.m. Not only did they fix the macerator hose issue, they also fixed my rear light on my spare tire. All of this added up to a bill under $100. Not bad. 

One of the reasons I am writing this post, is due to a conversation I had with one of the magic people who worked on my rig. He said, it helps the technicians if the owner has already narrowed down the issue and helped to identify the problem. He went on to say, in the long run it saves the customer money when the technician doesn’t have to track down the problem, with a vague complaint. It is important for me to do my homework. I did the correct thing to crawl underneath my rig and see what was going on. By doing my homework I may find that I am able to repair it on my own or, as in this case, figure out a temporary solution. It is good to feel like part of the team. I am a good advocate for all things Janet and my rig is another part of me. I have also discovered that by talking with the technicians I come away with ideas and suggestions for all things RV.

When that engine light comes on, or you see something on no matter where it is on the rig, dig in there and do your homework. You don’t have to have detailed knowledge, yet it sure can help to figure out where that glitch in the system is. Pinpointing certainly helps make the process of repair go smoothly and more quickly and get us back on the road. And that is what I want to get back on the road and enjoy my lifestyle. 

Here is my suggestions to all of us, no matter what the situation is and that is to be a good self advocate. Be nice to others and do what needs to be done to get back to your lifestyle as quickly as possible. 

Getting ready to roll. 

 

 

.