This pie is tasty and easy to prepare before a camping adventure or whip this up and bake in your RV convection oven at the campsite! Simple and delicious.
1 cylinder honey graham crackers, crushed
5 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
4 tbsp. sugar
14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
4 – 5 egg yolks (depending on the size of the eggs)
zest key lime zest from 3 key limes
1/2 cup juice of (2 lb. bag of key limes)
1 cup whipped cream
4 – 5 tbsp. powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Rinse limes. Zest 3 of the limes, set aside. Cut all limes in half.
- In a medium bowl combine crushed graham crackers, melted butter, sugar and a pinch of salt. Stir to combine.
- Pour crumb mixture into a 7″‘ pie pan. Pat very lightly. Do not compress the crust.
- In a preheated oven, place pie shell on the middle rack or place on rack in the convection oven. Bake for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl combine sweetened condensed milk, lime juice and lime zest. Add egg yolks 1 at a time, whisk or stir mixture after adding each egg.
- Pour filling into cooled pie shell, then place the pie back in the oven to bake for 15 minutes.
- Allow pie to cool to room temperature after baking then cool in the fridge lightly covered for 2 – 8 hours.
- In a large bowl pour heavy cream and whip on low until cream thickens slightly.
- Gradually add powdered sugar and increase mixer to medium until cream forms medium soft peaks. Lightly cover and refrigerate.
- To serve: Cut a slice of pie, placing each slice on a small serving plate and top the slice with whipped cream. My cookbook Small Kitchen Big Flavors! is available at a great Introductory Price on Ebay and my blog site at : http:/smallkitchenbigflavorsblog.wordpress.com