While checking out the Manager’s Special in the 30% – 50% off section at the meat department, my eye caught a glimpse of a recently reduced package containing 5 beef short ribs.
I wanted to prepare a simple meal without a lot of fuss… so I tossed the package of short ribs into my basket and added a package of instant garlic mashed potatoes from a nearby aisle to use as a side dish. On to the produce section I added a container of baby bella mushrooms and a red onion to the cart and from the canned soup aisle a small container of beef stock.
1 pkg 4 – 5 beef short ribs
8 oz – 12 oz beef broth
1/2 red onion sliced
1 pkg small pkg. baby bella mushrooms
1 tbsp. olive oil
salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Lightly coat the beef short ribs in olive oil then sprinkle them with salt and pepper, add to a cast iron skillet.
- Sliced the mushrooms and onions and add them to the skillet along with the beef broth.
- Cover the skillet with foil (to keep the steam inside the skillet while the beef cooks).
- Place skillet in the oven or onto the grill and cook for 2 1/2 – 3 hrs,
- Check the progress of the cooking and level of the broth every 30 minutes, add additional broth as needed.
- Serve with microwave garlic mashed potatoes and some of the natural pan sauce.
My cookbook Small Kitchen Big Flavors! is available at a great Introductory Price on Ebay and my blog site at : http:/smallkitchenbigflavorsblog.wordpress.com