I developed this recipe to use some of the ingredients I happen to have on hand and the results were so yummy I had to share!
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup organic coconut milk or coconut cream
1 cup buttermilk
3 egg yolks
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 lemon, obtain zest from half of the lemon
- Place cornstarch and sugar in a medium saucepan, stir or whisk prior to turning on the stovetop.
- Whisk in the coconut milk over med/low heat until warm then add the buttermilk.
- Combine cornstarch with 2 tbsp. of water, add to the saucepan and whisk until the mixture thickens and comes to a light boil. * NOTE: Mixture should coat the back of a teaspoon when you run your finger across the back of a spoon that is dipped into the custard. The consistency is like loose yogurt.
- Take the saucepan off heat.
- In a small bowl whisk the egg yolks for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the warm custard into the yolk mixture, while whisking the mixture constantly. Repeat adding 1/4 cup of custard with the egg yolks two additional times. This tempers the custard and keeps the yolks from curdling.
- Now, add the tempered egg yolk mixture to the saucepan the remaining custard and whisk to combine.
- Turn the heat on the stove to med/low, whisk the mixture for 5 minutes until the custard thickens a little more.
- Whisk in lemon zest and vanilla.
- Pour the light custard (will be sauce consistency) into 4 small ramekins.)
- Place a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the custard in each bowl to prevent a pudding skin from forming.
- Refrigerate the custard 3 hours or overnight. To serve: top the custard with a mandarin oranges, berries or whipped cream.
My cookbook Small Kitchen Big Flavors! is available at a great Introductory Price on Ebay and my blog site at : http:/smallkitchenbigflavorsblog.wordpress.com
Comments are closed.