My husband (Jeff) loves to order this dish when we go out for a Chinese dinner. I happened to have the ingredients on hand and came up with the following recipe!
12 oz. top sirloin with some even marbling of fat through the meat
1 1/2 cups broccoli crowns
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1 egg egg white only
2 pinches salt
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp lime juice
3-4 cloves garlic
1″ x 1 1/4″ fresh ginger, peeled then grated
2 pinches red pepper flakes
2 cups ice cubes
1 1/2 cups water
- Rinse broccoli crowns and cut into medium bite sized pieces, set aside.
- Add ice to a medium bowl, set aside.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil, add broccoli, cook for 1 1/2 minutes or al dente, do not overcook.
- Add water to the bowl with ice, filling to 2/3 full.
- Drain broccoli and add to the ice bath for 1 1/2 minutes then remove the broccoli, set aside.
- Rinse the medium saucepan well then add water half way filling the pan, set aside.
- Finely minced peeled garlic and ginger. Place in a small bowl or jar, set aside.
- Combine marinade, set aside.
- Rinse meat and cut in thin slices across the grain. In a medium bowl combine the meat and egg white mixture, stir to combine then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Mix the sauce ingredient together in a small bowl or jar, set side.
- Heat a tbsp. of oil to a small wok or medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add minced ginger and garlic and stir for a minute then add the marinated beef slices. Stir until the meat is cooked through, add the sauce and red pepper flakes, stir to combine. Add broccoli stir until heated through.
- Serve over rice.
My cookbook Small Kitchen Big Flavors! is available at a great Introductory Price on Ebay and my blog site at : http:/smallkitchenbigflavorsblog.wordpress.com
Comments are closed.