My husband (Jeff) loves to order this dish when we go out for a Chinese dinner. I happened to have the ingredients on hand and came up with the following recipe!
12 oz. top sirloin with some even marbling of fat through the meat
1 1/2 cups broccoli crowns
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1 egg egg white only
2 pinches salt
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp lime juice
3-4 cloves garlic
1″ x 1 1/4″ fresh ginger, peeled then grated
2 pinches red pepper flakes
2 cups ice cubes
1 1/2 cups water
- Rinse broccoli crowns and cut into medium bite sized pieces, set aside.
- Add ice to a medium bowl, set aside.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil, add broccoli, cook for 1 1/2 minutes or al dente, do not overcook.
- Add water to the bowl with ice, filling to 2/3 full.
- Drain broccoli and add to the ice bath for 1 1/2 minutes then remove the broccoli, set aside.
- Rinse the medium saucepan well then add water half way filling the pan, set aside.
- Finely minced peeled garlic and ginger. Place in a small bowl or jar, set aside.
- Combine marinade, set aside.
- Rinse meat and cut in thin slices across the grain. In a medium bowl combine the meat and egg white mixture, stir to combine then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Mix the sauce ingredient together in a small bowl or jar, set side.
- Heat a tbsp. of oil to a small wok or medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add minced ginger and garlic and stir for a minute then add the marinated beef slices. Stir until the meat is cooked through, add the sauce and red pepper flakes, stir to combine. Add broccoli stir until heated through.
- Serve over rice.
My cookbook Small Kitchen Big Flavors! is available at a great Introductory Price on Ebay and my blog site at : http:/smallkitchenbigflavorsblog.wordpress.com
One Response to “Beef with Broccoli”
Comments are closed.
February 07, 2019at4:06 pm, Fae Gisler said:
Hi Mary Jane,
Saw your Beef With Broccoli recipe on the RV Lifestyle web page. My husband loves it, too, so I want to give it a try! Couple of questions, tho;
in Step 6 you mention filling the medium saucepan half way with water and then setting aside. What is this used for? I don’t see it mentioned further in the recipe. Also, is the “egg white mixture” the same as the marinade? Thanks for your help. Will post again to let you know how it turns out!