RV Tips: Putting out a Galley Fire

 RV Tips:  Putting out a Galley Fire

Usually, I share my RV Recipes here on the RV Lifestyle blog. But this week, I want to take some time to offer some safety tips about cooking in your RV. If you read them now, you won’t have to wonder what to do if a fire suddenly gets out of control in your RV galley.

Safety first:  When setting up supplies to take along in your RV, check that you have a fire extinguisher onboard and that the fire extinguisher has not expired.

Check to see if your fire extinguisher may be on a recall list.  The fire extinguisher on our rig was a couple of years ago and we

submitted for the free replacement.

Other supplies to have close by: a skillet or saucepan lid that fits the size of the cookware you will be using and a full box of baking soda that has not expired and full regular grocery store sized container of salt.

What to do when a fire erupts while cooking in your RV

Microwave, Convection oven or Regular Oven:  Close the door on the appliance if it is open. If the door is shut keep it shut.  This first step keeps the fire from being fueled by oxygen in the surrounding air on the other side of the door!  If the fire continues and you see flames or smoke indicating the fire may still be active, call 911 or the local emergency fire department emergency number.

Stovetop/Grill:  Protect your hands from the hot flames and hot handle. Wearing oven mitts ‘clap’ the lid onto the pan if the lid is readily available.  Move the pan off the burner. Turn off the stovetop/grill  and propane if applicable.  Cutting off air supply to the fire with the lid will stop oxygen from fueling the fire.  If you don’t have the pan lid readily available or you are not able to safely place the lid on, grab the fire extinguisher and aim the nozzle so that it is pointing toward the base of the fire.  Do not point the extinguisher at the flames.

Grease fires:  Never use water on a grease fire as this can spread the fire.  The reason is water repels  grease and can easily splatter the grease.  If the fire is small, protect your hands with an oven mitt (if available), cover the pot with a lid and turn off the stove.  If no lid is available extinguish the fire by pouring baking soda or salt on it.  If you need another choice for safely putting out the fire:  use a wet towel, wet clothing or a fire extinguisher.

Warning ~ 1. NEVER use flour to extinguish the fire as it can explode and make the fire worse!  2. NEVER swat at a fire, you are fanning the flames and likely spreading the fire.  3. If the fire is large, growing or not easily contained, get everyone out of the kitchen or galley, turn propane off if you can safely do so and call 911, if unavailable call the local Emergency Response in the area.

My cookbook Small Kitchen Big Flavors! is available at a great Introductory Price on Ebay and my blog site at : http:/smallkitchenbigflavorsblog.wordpress.com

 

Mary Jane Curry

Mary Jane Curry and husband Jeff love RVing and travel in a 2013 Roadtrek RS Adventurous motorhome. She is a Nurse Practitioner, Physician Assistant and Registered Nurse in Emergency and Occupational Medicine, and is nearing retirement and has great enthusiasm for the travels and adventures awaiting. Her love of food science and food presentation led her to pursue a secondary career about 10 years ago when she became a certified Personal Chef and owner of Custom Cuisine in Southern California. She received her training and certification through the United States Personal Chef Association, an organization with Personal Chef membership in both the US and Canada. She plans to share many recipes here for RVers!

2 Comments

  • I would like to add a warning that in all our years of RV’ing have not encountered. I have an Atwood Propane cooktop and stove. Love it. Last summer I was simmering some soup and turned the knob up a notch and FLAMES shot through the handle where it attaches to the stove. You have to turn it to high before OFF! Bigger flame! Fortunately I was standing to the side when the large flame shot out of the hole where the handle inserts. Once I calmed down and the the stove top cooled down I lifted the lid. The burner head has a tube that inserts to the propane supply tube. It had come apart and swelled the supply tube as it got to hot. My husband came in for lunch and asked why the stove lid was up. LOL I could laugh then. Flashlight in hand examination of the burner head showed there was a black plastic inner ring that had melted and the connection was not tight..hence the flames shot out from there and out the burner knob hole! New OEM Atwood burner head installed in 5 minutes; cooks like a champ. I did call Atwood and they said yes check the connections periodically.. All that heat and jiggling around as we travel..things can come apart and at a glance look fine. Thank God above my clothes did not catch fire.

  • Not mentioned, In throwing stuff on a fire NEVER Throw SUGAR It is flamable !

Comments are closed.