These apple tarts are simple to make, easy to store and down home delicious and store nicely. You can make these ahead of time or in the RV using the stovetop and convection oven.
Want more recipes like this? Check out my Leisure Adventure cookbook at: https://smallkitchenbigflavors.blog/
1 Pillsbury readymade refrigerated pie dough
5 small to medium sized Fuji apples, peeled, cut into 1/2″ dice
zest from a lemon
juice from 1/2 a lemon
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
3 tbsp cornstarch
3 tbsp water
pinch of salt
optional: cinnamon sugar sprinkle on upper crust
optional bottom crust
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/3 cup sugar
6 tbsp butter
- Preheat convection oven to 330 degrees.
- If making the tarts with a bottom crust, combine the optional bottom crust ingredients, place approximately 3 generous tbsp of mixture in the bottom of 8 1/2 pint ball jars. Lightly press the graham cracker mixture in place. Bake in preheated oven on a baking sheet then cool to room temperature. Leave ball jars on the baking sheet.
- Increase oven temperature to 430 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan add sugar and water, stir and heat over medium heat, bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to medium/low and add the cornstarch slurry to the saucepan, stirring until the sauce thickens, then turn off the heat.
- Add peeled, 1/2″ diced apples, cinnamon and salt to the saucepan. Turn heat on to a simmer continue to stir the mixture until the sauce thickens nicely.
- Add apple filling to the cooled graham cracker crust (if you included this bottom crust). Place filling in 1/2 pint jars, filling jars between 1/2 – 2/3 full.
- For the top crust, unroll refrigerated pie dough. Make 8 pie crust tops by using the Ball jar band of the lid like a cookie cutter to cut out 8 pie tart tops.
- Place a pie dough round on each jar with the apple filling. Sprinkle the top of the dough with cinnamon sugar.
- Cut 3 small slits in the center of each pie dough.
- Return the baking sheet to the oven. Bake the tarts until the pie crust is cooked through and slightly golden around the edges. Time is approximately 10 – 13 minutes.
- Let the tarts rest for 20 minutes then serve.
- To store the tarts. Place the lids and bands on the cooled tarts. Store at room temperature for 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Comments are closed.