This casserole assembles quickly and can be a ‘Make Ahead' dish for a camping adventure or put together quickly at your camping destination if you have a convection oven, toaster oven or a heavy cast iron skillet available.
The flavor combinations make for a great tasting, satisfying meal and the leftovers freeze well for up to 3 months in freezer ziplock bags.
Serves 2 for 3 meals
1 1/2 – 2 lb cooked roasted chicken cut into bite sized chunks
1 cup chicken broth
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 pt sour cream
1 can 4 oz. Ortega diced green chilies
garnish: diced green onions or jalapeno slices
6 medium flour tortillas
3/4 lb pepper jack cheese, grated
1/4 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven or grill to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine soup, sour cream, diced green chilies and half of each cheese (grated).
- Ladle 1/2 cup of the sauce in the casserole dish. Cut a tortilla into 5 long strips and place on top of the sauce.
- Add the chopped cooked chicken pieces to the sauce mixture then ladle 1/3 of the mixture into the casserole.
- Sprinkle with some cheese.
- Repeat layering of ingredients with remainder of ingredient.
- If using a cast iron skillet, set heat to medium high and cover the skillet with foil. For oven: bake in an oven pre-heated to 350 degrees F.
- Cooking time 35 – 40 minutes.