Homemade breads are delicious and easy. Whether you are cooking over a campfire with a cast iron Dutch Oven or Baking a loaf in your enamel coated cast iron oven you can make a tasty loaf! If you are looking for a great crunchy crust on your bread with a pillow soft interior go for the high heat method (475 degrees) when baking the loaf at home …. but if you are craving a homemade loaf and your convection oven in your RV only reaches 425 degrees, here is a recipe that will be delicious. The bread is a little denser and the crust a little softer but it is still good eats for sandwiches or making toast!
Dutch Oven size: 2 3/4 qt. (however I wouldn’t fill to the rim, I usually fill 1/2 way). This Dutch oven size fits on the rack in my microwave/convection oven in our 2013 RS Adventurous. I have Le Creuset brand Dutch Oven.
1/2 tsp active dry yeast
3 cups all purpose flour
1 3/4 tsp sea salt (do not use regular table salt, the taste of iodine in the salt is not pleasant)
1 1/2 cups warm water (90 – 125 degrees)
1 tbsp. uncooked cornmeal
- In a large bowl combine flour, sea salt and yeast. Stir to combine.
- Add water, stir with a wet wooden spoon (to avoid sticking). Mix ingredients together, cover with plastic wrap.
- Let dough rise until double in size. Line your Dutch oven with parchment paper (Costco or Reynolds) or sprinkle cornmeal on the bottom of the Dutch oven.
- Pour dough into the Dutch oven and let the dough rise a 2nd time, then place in the convection oven and place the lid on.
- Set the convection oven to 425 degrees (for my RV convection oven I press 10 and the digital temp. displays).
- When the oven reaches temperature (mine beeps), enter your time (on my oven) 3000 which equals (30 minutes).
- When time is up, remove the Dutch oven carefully from the convection oven using heat resistant pot holders.
- If you want to brown the loaf more, return the Dutch oven without the lid on to the oven and bake for another 10 – 15 minutes.
NOTE: Be careful not to add water that is too hot or the yeast will be inactivated and bread will not rise. Yeast can not tolerate heat over 140 degrees… Follow the guidelines on both your Dutch Oven and parchment paper manufacturers recommendations for the amount of heat tolerance. Enamel coated Dutch Ovens must have a metal lid handle and this cold oven start method is recommend. Use your black metal uncoated Dutch Oven if using a recipe that preheats an empty Dutch oven.
My cookbook Small Kitchen Big Flavors! is available at a great Introductory Price on Ebay and my blog site at : http:/smallkitchenbigflavorsblog.wordpress.com
Comments are closed.