You are in for a treat with this moist tender chicken!
Want more recipes like this? Check out my Leisure Adventure cookbook at: https://smallkitchenbigflavors.blog/
Pre heat: Convection Oven 425 degrees
Cook time: approximately 60 – 70 minutes. This recipe was made at home as a make-ahead dish for an RV outing and required 70 minutes to prepare. When preparing this recipe in the RV, use a smaller roasting chicken (4.5 lb – 5 lb.) and check the internal temperature periodically. The smaller bird will cook to temperature quicker. Check at 40 minutes then check every 5 – 7 minutes. Chicken is ready when the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
This is hands down the best chicken ever.
1 Organic roasting chicken (smaller size for RV convection)
1 box organic chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine (Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc)
2 lemons, cut in 4 – 6 wedges per lemon
1 organic sweet onion
1 head of garlic
1 1/2 tbsp. arrowroot (or cornstarch)
1 1/2 tbsp. water
1 tbsp. fresh ground lemon pepper
salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse chicken thoroughly and pat dry.
- Remove and discard any chicken parts packed in the cavity (neck and organ meats).
- Peel sweet onion, slice onion into 8 circular slices, discarding root and top ends.
- Add sliced onions in a 9″ x 12″ casserole dish and toss with 1/8 cup of oil, 1/2 tsp pepper and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Place chicken breast side up on the onion mixture.
- Sprinkle inside of chicken cavity with lemon pepper.
- Add 1/2 lemon wedges to the chicken cavity.
- Cut a garlic bulb in half horizontally. Place both halves in the chicken cavity
- Rub the exterior skin of the chicken with 1/8 cup of oil, then salt and pepper liberally.
- Tuck chicken wings under the chicken breast.
- Roast the chicken for approximately 60 – 70 minutes. Chicken is cooked through when the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees on a meat thermometer.
- Remove chicken from oven when cooked thoroughly.
- Let chicken rest for 15 minutes, then slice the chicken and place on a platter.
- Pour sauce (lemons, drippings and onions) from the casserole dish into a large saucepan on the stovetop.
- Turn heat to medium. Add chicken broth and wine.
- When sauce is warm prepare a slurry in a small bowl combining 1 1/2 tablespoons of arrowroot or cornstarch with 1 1/2 tablespoons of water.
- Stir slurry into the sauce until it thickens (approximately 3-5 minutes) enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- When sauce has thickened and warm, pour over sliced chicken and serve.