Keto style homemade lasagna…now that’s comfort food!
If you are following a keto diet, check out this dish that has ‘faux noodles’ and it tastes wonderful. Since this is a recipe for the homemade keto noodles the recipe is actually a recipe for the lasagna filling preparation and the faux noodle preparation.
This would be a good Make Ahead recipe as you can easily divide and package 8 serves to freeze for an upcoming RV adventure.
1 lb. Italian Sausage (I use the type without the casing)
1 cup chopped cooked pork (I added this from some pork chile verde I had made the day before in the Instant Pot))
1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil (not x-tra virgin, just regular)
10 oz sliced mushrooms
16 oz ricotta
2 cup marinara sauce ( I boiled down 8 – 10 medium tomatoes, then removed the outer skin and pureed with an immersion blender… but store bought is fine).
2 1/4 cups grated mozzarella cheese
10 oz grated parmesan cheese
4 oz cream cheese
4 cloves garlic (or 1 tsp powdered garlic)
1/4 red onion, diced (or 1/2 tsp dry powdered onion)
1 tsp dry basil flakes
1 tsp dry oregano flakes
coconut baking spray
salt and pepper to taste
Make the noodles, first then set them aside on the parchment paper and cover lightly. You will use ingredients listed above in both the faux noodle recipe and in making the lasagna filling therefor the portions require for the noodles are specified in the amounts needed for the noodle in the directions below. below.
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- Line a 9″ x 13″ casserole dish with baking parchment paper
- In a large bowl, combine the following ingredients using a hand mixer or blender to combine 2 large eggs, 4 oz cream cheese, 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning, 1/4 tsp garlic powder (or 1 clove of garlic minced), 1/4 tsp onion powder (or 1/8 cup diced red onion).
- With a rubber spatula fold in 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated, 1 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese to the cream cheese/egg mixture.
- Lightly spray the parchment paper with coconut baking spray. Spread the batter on the parchment lined casserole dish.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 20 – 25 minutes until the batter is baked thoroughly.
- Remove the casserole dish from the oven, cool in the refrigerator for 10 minutes then cut into ‘noodles’ 3 equal lengths creating your lasagna noodles..
- Set the cut noodles aside, lightly covered with a paper towel while you make the filling.
- In a large skillet add 1 1/2 tbsp. of regular olive oil.
- Turn stove to medium, add the sausage, onions and garlic. Stir the sausage breaking it apart to large crumbles as it cooks.
- Add the mushrooms, salt and pepper and continue to stir and cook for 3 – 5 minutes then set aside.
- In a large bowl, use a whisk to combine the ricotta with the remaining 4 eggs, Italian seasoning (basil/oregano), salt and pepper.
- Cover base of casserole with a cup of marinara sauce, top withthe faux noodles top with the cooked sausage/mushroom mixture and the other cup of marinara tomato sauce. Add the ricotta mixture evenly across the casserole then finish the casserole by topping with the remaining grated cheeses.
- Cover the casserole lightly with foil and bake 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
My cookbook Small Kitchen Big Flavors! is available at a great Introductory Price on Ebay and my blog site at : http:/smallkitchenbigflavorsblog.wordpress.com