This dish is perfect for making a mildly spicy Mexican chicken dish that creates a luscious sauce. I have made various versions of this recipe depending on the ingredients I’m able to obtain easily. This is my most basic version but to tell you the truth simplicity is just fine with this dish and everyone comes back for 2nds.
If you have leftovers you can change it up a bit and make some kicked up nachos the next evening.
This RV Recipe is for the 6 qt. Instant Pot.
This recipe does not need any water or broth (at all)… This is an exception for Instant Pots but this recipe has plenty of moisture for the pot that comes from the tomatillos and peppers.
RV Recipe Instant Pot Chicken Verde Ingredients
Serves 6 – 8
2 lb bone in skin on chicken thighs, rinse and pat dry
6 – 8 large tomatillos, remove husk, rinse, scrub the sticky outer coating from the tomatillos.
6 mixed variety of chili peppers (Anaheim, jalapeno, pablano etc.) Rinse, cut off stems, remove seeds and
spine of chilis then rough chop.
1/2 bunch cilantro
1 red onion, rinsed, peeled, rough chopped
1 – 4 peeled cloves of garlic
1 tbsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste
(optional) dash of fish sauce or worcestershire
Condiments/Sides to serve with this RV Recipe of Instant Pot Chicken Verde meal
1 Juanita brand or other tortilla chips
8 oz sour cream
1 cup mixed grated cheddar cheese
1 lime rinsed and cut in wedges
6 sprig cilantro leaves, rinsed and pat dry
Directions for this RV Recipe of Instant Pot Chicken Verde
- Prepare uncooked chicken as noted above. Place in the stainless steel liner of the Instant Pot.
- Sprinkle seasoning over top of skin.
- Scrub the tomatillos well with your hands under running water to remove the waxy coating.
- Note: the tomatillo skin needs to be scrubbed or you may get a soapy taste in your sauce.
- Remove and discard seeds and spine from peppers, rough chop peppers, onion and tomatillos then place in the Instant Pot.
- Close IP lid and steam vent. Select manual high pressure 25 minutes. Let IP release naturally or a few minutes then do a quick release.
- Using tongs, remove the chicken. When cool enough to handle, remove and discard chicken skin, bone and any cartilage or veins. Shred chicken into large bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Insert an immersion blender into the chili sauce, blend until the remaining chili pieces liquefy.
- Ladle the chicken verde into individual bowls. Serve with the condiments above.
- Refrigerate and cover any leftovers and enjoy with a few days.
Would you like more RC Recipe Instant Pot meals and other great ideas? My cookbook Small Kitchen Big Flavors! is available at a great Introductory Price on Ebay and my blog site at : http:/smallkitchenbigflavorsblog.wordpress.com
RV Recipe archives
CLICK HERE to check out my RV recipe archives going back for years, including many Instant Pot meals
Get more RV travel ideas, tips, news, and perks!
Each Monday we publish our RV Lifestyle Newsletter, where we share weekly articles about RV travel that inspire and inform. As soon as you sign up, we’ll send you for free the RV travel checklist that Jennifer and I use. You can save it to your computer and print it out for every trip like we do. No more forgetting things! Plus, besides the insider’s newsletter each Monday, you’ll get lots of special perks and RV discounts.
Enter your info below and you are in!