Fresh peaches are in season, juicy and ripe and ideal to add to a salad, enjoy as a snack, cut in half, remove the pit/seed and grill as a side dish or create a delicious dessert to enjoy with friends or something yummy to take to a potluck.
I came up with an easy fresh peach pie recipe that you can enjoy while on a camping adventure or at home.
1 readymade pie crust
6 fresh ripe peaches
3/4 cup sugar
3/8 cup water
1 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch (mix with 1 1/2 tbsp. water just prior to adding to the saucepan)
4 oz peach baby food (or puree 1/2 a peach)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
1/2 – 1 lemon, (juice only)
- Rinse peaches, remove pits, peel then cut away any bruised spots from the peaches. Place peaches in a medium bowl.
- Stir in lemon juice with the peaches.
- Reserve peaches for the final stages of making the pie.
- In a medium saucepan add water and sugar. Heat and stir over medium heat to dissolve the sugar.
- Lower heat to medium/low. Add the 1/2 cup of peach baby food to the sugar water mixture, stir to combine.
- Stir cornstarch/water in a small bowl then add to the sugar solution in the sauce pan. Stir until thickened.
- Take the saucepan off heat. Stir in vanilla and almond extract.
- Let the peach filling cool then add 1/3 of the filling to the premade pie crust.
- Add 1/2 the fresh sliced peaches to the pie crust, top with 1/3 additional filling.
- Add Remaining sliced peaches. Drizzle the remaining peach filling over the top of the pie.
- Spread the drizzle evenly with a small spatula or knife if necessary.
- Refrigerate for an hour or until served. Cover and place any leftovers in the refrigerator and enjoy with a couple of days.
My cookbook Small Kitchen Big Flavors! is available at a great Introductory Price on Ebay and my blog site at : http:/smallkitchenbigflavorsblog.wordpress.com