This recipe is an easy one to consider for Cinco de Mayo and the ingredients are flexible, making it a quick easy to prepare lunch or dinner that adapts to Vegan, Vegetarian and Unrestricted food preferences.
Cooking Method: Prepare on a gas or electric Induction stove top.
Want more recipes like this? Check out my Leisure Adventure cookbook at: https://smallkitchenbigflavors.blog/
Serves: 1 or more
Ingredients (per tostada)
1 or more tortilla (many varieties including vegan and gluten free options)
1/2 – 1 cups cooking oil (enough to cover bring oil up in the small/medium pan up to 1/2″ high)
14 oz can of non fat refried beans (1/4 cup for each tostada, additional for other tostadas or use as a side dish)
1/3 cup cooked and diced chicken, pork, beef, shrimp or as an alternate canned brined jackfruit heart of palm
1/4 cup lettuce, chopped
1/4 avocado, sliced
1/3 cup pico de gallo (combination of: diced tomato, onions and jalapeno or other green chili pepper) or mango salsa
1/4 cup sour cream or Mexican crema (optional)
1/4 cup cheese (cheddar or as desired
Hot sauce (optional, as desired)
- Heat the number of tortillas desired. If frying the tortilla, fry one tortilla at a time over medium heat.
- Using metal tongs flip the tortilla when it becomes firm but not overly browned.
- When both sides of the tortilla are cooked, remove tortilla using the tongs. Set aside on a few paper towel to drain the grease.
- In a separate small to medium saucepan, add refried beans. Heat over medium heat until bubbly.
- Add a few tbsp. of sour cream and or pico de gallo as desired, stir and simmer for 5 minutes, turn off heat.
- Build your tostada placing a single fried tortilla on a plate, top with refried beans, diced cooked protein or vegan alternative, sour cream, avocado, pico de gallo or salsa and cheese as desired.
* Note: A fried tortilla base is typical for a tostada however as an alternate you could heat the tortilla on the stove or just build a nice salad with your ingredients and omit the tortilla. This meal can be easily adapted to your food preferences.
Comments are closed.