Looking for a delicious side dish or Potluck item, try these stuffed mushrooms!
Want more recipes like this? Check out my Leisure Adventure cookbook at: https://smallkitchenbigflavors.blog/
Serves 6 -8
Note: To make a serving for 2, decrease all ingredients by half.
1 Italian hot sausage link
1 Mild Italian sausage link
2 pkg. fresh mushrooms (8 oz. ea.)
1/4 cup sweet onion, medium dice
2 – 3 tbsp olive oil, divided use
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
1/4 tsp thyme
2 tbsp. freshly grated parmesan cheese
Garnish: chopped chives or a dash of smoked paprika
- Add 1.5 tbsp oil to a large skillet, heat over medium setting.
- Saute’ diced onions with thyme in the skillet for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove sausage from the casings, crumble sausage and add to the skillet.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until lightly browned.
- Wipe mushroom caps and stems with a paper towel or rinse them briefly. Pat dry, set aside.
- Remove mushroom stems from the caps, cut into bite size pieces, add to skillet with the sausage.
- Cook and stir mushroom stuffing mixture in the skillet until cooked through, remove from heat.
- Place stuffing mixture in a medium bowl, set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the skillet. When oil is hot, add mushroom caps, cook over medium heat.
- Lightly brown both sides of mushroom caps for 1 – 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Drain mushrooms ‘cap down’ on paper towels to allow moisture to drain.
- Place bread in a high speed blender, or mini chopper. Pulse bread a few seconds to create soft fresh bread crumbs.
- Add mushroom filling mixture to the bread crumbs in the blender or mini chopper, pulse a few seconds to combine.
- Using a tsp, fill mushroom caps with the filling.
- Top with grated parmesan and return the stuffed mushrooms to the skillet over medium heat until the cheese melts.