I'm sharing a few simple treats that our family enjoys during the holidays and the beauty of these selections is that they can be prepared in an RV kitchen!
Baking is a treasured holiday activity for many however be aware of local health and safety and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines. What does this mean for the baking tradition? Use the recommended guidelines and good common sense, know how viruses are transmitted and follow advisable recommended health and safety guidelines even when the pandemic is over! Good handwashing always. Proper food safety guidelines and storage, definitely.
When were Oreos first invented?
Introduced on March 6, 1912, Oreo is the best selling cookie brand in the United States. As of 2018, the version sold in the U.S. is made by the Nabisco division of Mondelez International. Oreo cookies are available in over one hundred countries.
When were cocoa beans first marketed?
1585: First official shipments of cocoa beans began arriving in Seville from Vera Cruz, Mexico. 1657: The first chocolate house was opened in London by a Frenchman. The shop was called The Coffee Mill and Tobacco Roll. Costing 10 to 15 shillings per pound, chocolate was considered a beverage for the elite class.
Oreo Truffle Recipe
4 oz softened block cream cheese
1 full-sized chocolate bar
Crumbled Oreos will mix with cream cheese
Oreo cream cheese mixture
- Place half the Oreos in a gallon-sized ziplock bag, burp the air from the bag, and using a rolling pin crush the cookies into a fine crumble. Pour the cookie crumbles into a medium bowl. Repeat the process for the remaining Oreos.
- Soften cream cheese in the microwave on HIGH for 20 seconds then add to the bowl with the Oreos.
- Using a rubber spatula, combine the Oreos and cream cheese thoroughly.
- Make tablespoon-sized balls of Oreo dough filling and place the cookie balls on a flexible cutting board or waxed paper. Place the Oreo balls and the plate or cutting board they are on, in the refrigerator for 20 – 30 minutes to firm the candy balls prior to dipping in the melted chocolate. See chocolate melting information below.
- Place chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on HIGH for a minute then stir. Repeat 30-second bursts of microwaving followed by stirring a couple additional times and just until the chocolate is melting some when stirred.
- Don't attempt to melt the chocolate all the way, stop when the chocolate is more than 75% melted when stirred, then stir the chocolate as the rest of the chocolate melts.
- Using a small skewer, pierce one Oreo ball at a time. Dip the ball in the melted chocolate then place on parchment baking paper of wax paper. When all truffles have been dipped, place the truffle and the paper they are on onto a plate or other firm surface and refrigerate for 10 minutes until the chocolate has firmed up.
- Wrap each truffle in a piece of wax paper or place each truffle in a paper candy cup and place the candies in a gallon-sized ziplock in the fridge.
- To serve bring out the number of truffles you are serving and keep the other truffles in the fridge. Since this recipe uses cream cheese, don't leave the truffles at room temperature more than a couple of hours before returning any leftovers to the fridge for storage.
Putting on the Ritz
When did Ritz Crackers come to market? Ritz crackers are a brand of snack cracker introduced by Nabisco in 1934. Outside the United States, the Ritz Cracker brand is made by a subsidiary of Mondelēz International. They are circular, salted lightly on one side, and have a small scalloped edge.
When did Rolo candies become available?
Rolo candy is said to have been invented on December 21, 1937, although the trademark filing for candy that uses the word Rolo puts its first use date at 1937/12/15. However, these dates do not always describe the true date that products were first sold.
Putting on the Ritz Cookie Recipe
24 Ritz crackers
24 Rolo candies, unwrapped
12 pecan halves
Perfectly Microwaved Rolo's candy
- Open a cylinder of regular style Ritz crackers, place the crackers on a cutting board.
- Unwrap each Rolo candy, set on the cutting board.
- Using a microwave-safe dish place a single layer of Rolo's.
- Top each single Ritz cracker with a single Rolo.
- Microwave on HIGH for 20 seconds, gently press down on one Rolo. If the Rolo collapses slightly when you press then remove the dish from the microwave and top each Ritz cracker with a 2nd Ritz crack and press the top cracker down with mild to moderate pressure so that the slightly melty Rolo adheres to both the top and bottom cracker.
- Serve or store lightly covered. No refrigeration needed.
Peppermint Pretzel drizzle candy
When were candy canes brought to market?
the white candy cane made its U.S. debut in 1847 in Ohio, according to Schildhaus, when August Imgard, decorated a small blue spruce with paper ornaments and candy canes.
When were pretzels first available?
. In 1861, Julius Sturgis founded the first commercial pretzel bakery in the town of Lititz in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.
Peppermint Pretzel Candy Recipe
15 -20 small pretzels (type of choice)
3 small candy canes, crushed into medium and fine pieces
1 1/2 – 2 cups chocolate chips
- Place a layer of parchment paper (baking type) on to a baking sheet.
- Add chocolate chips to a microwave-safe bowl, microwave on HIGH for 1 minute then stir. Repeat in 30-second microwave bursts until the chocolate is about 75% melted, then remove from the microwave and stir until the remaining chocolate melts.
- Using a rubber spatula pour about 2/3 of the melted chocolate onto the parchment paper, spread the chocolate evenly.
- Sprinkle candy cane pieces in between the pretzels.
- Drizzle the remaining portion of melted chocolate over the chocolate pretzel mixture and place the tray in the fridge until the chocolate hardens in approximately 10 minutes. Break the candy into serving sizes and place on a serving plate. Lightly cover leftovers. No refrigeration needed.