We promised to share one of Jennifer and Mike’s favorite on-the-road meals – Vegetable Lasagna.
This meal is a bit trickier to prepare than the simple Salsa Chicken recipe we shared in our last How We Roll in our RV video.
Preparation is the key. The payoff, though, is a mouth watering meal that you can easily prepare by popping it out of the freezer and then warming in your RV’s microwave or convection oven. We usually find one piece is enough for a serving, and this recipe makes enough for from nine to 12 pieces. A salad and a vegetable are its usual side dishes for us.
Here’s Jennifer showing the preparation and cooking process:
Please note that we call this Vegetable Lasagna, not vegetarian. That’s because it uses eggs and dairy products (cottage cheese), so it’s not pure vegan. But the veggies give it a flavor and texture that we now prefer to the regular lasagna made with meat.
Vegetable Lasagna Ingredients
- 6 lasagna noodles
- two quarts of water to boil lasagna noodles
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onipn
- 1-1/2 cups carrots, sliced 1/8 in thick
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup quartered and sliced zucchini
- 1- 10 oz package of frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and well-draoined
- 2 tsp. minced garlic (about one clove)
- 1-3/4 cups spaghetti or marinara sauce (about one 15 oz jar)
- 1/2 cup water (into spaghetti/marinara sauce)
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup graded parmesan cheese
- 12 oz shredded part-skim Mozzarella cheese
Vegetable Lasagna Instructions:
- Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for about 12 minutes. Drain, rinse and cover with cold water
- Heat vegetable oil in saucepan. Add onions, carrots, zucchini, mushrooms and garlic. Saute until carrots are tender, about 10 minutes. Add spinach last few minutes of cooking. Mix thoroughly as cooking.
- Bring spaghetti/marinara sauce, water and spices to a simmer. Simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Beat eggs, blend in cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese and vegetables
- Spread a thin layer of sauce over the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish. Cover with 3 noodles (dried well); spoon half of cheese and vegetable mixture over noodles. Cover with half of a=sauce and half of Mozzarella cheese. Repeat layer of noodles, cheese and vegetable mixture and sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes
- Remove foil and sprinkle top with remaining Mozzarella cheese. Bake uncovered about 15 minutes more or until center is bubbly.
That’s it. After it cools, divide it up how you’d like and put it in freezer. Again, it makes nine-12 pieces, depending on how generous you cut it up.
If you’d like, we can show other favorite Roadtreking RV recipes we like on a semi regular basis, say once a month or so.
Meantime, if you RV or on-the-road recipe you’d like to share, use comments below.