I came up with this recipe for chili that can be Vegan, Vegetarian or even Regular Unrestricted food preference. The taste and texture is wonderful and the cooking method can be anything available to you… The Vegan or Vegetarian version can even be served cold like a ‘gazpacho'. If you follow an unrestricted food program ~ add cooked chicken, shellfish or meat!
1 1/2 – 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
3 tbsp. tomato paste
28 oz can diced tomatoes
8 oz vegetable or chicken broth
16 oz garbanzos beans
13 3/4 oz artichoke bottoms
2 1/4 cups cremini mushrooms (regular white type)
1 1/4 cups diced carrots
1 1/4 cup diced celery
1 medium diced sweet onion
3/4 tsp dried oregano
3/4 tsp cumin
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1 cup grated cheese (vegetarian)
1 cup sour cream (vegetarian)
1 avocado, sliced
2 cups cooked, shellfish or meat (for regular Food program, unrestricted diet)
- In a large skillet or Instant Pot heat oil and saute' the carrots, onion and celery over MEDIUM heat for 5 minutes or until onion is slightly translucent.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir. If using an Instant Pot change the setting from saute' to manual HIGH pressure 4 minutes, close the lid and steam release valve. Use the quick release method to release once cooking is complete.
- For Slow Cooker: after saute' of the vegetables add all ingredients to the Slow cooker and select the LOW setting and select 1-2 hours to heat and warm the chili.
- If using a stovetop skillet, Dutch oven, heavy saucepan on the grill, or a cast iron dutch oven over a campfire: complete the cooking after saute' by simmering the chili with the remaining ingredients. Allow the flavors blend over medium heat for 30 minutes.
- For a gazpacho type cold soup: no need to heat… enjoy the chili at room temperature or cool the pot of chili in the refrigerator for an hour and then serve.
NOTE: The base of this recipe is Vegan. For Vegetarians: add the sour cream and cheese. For Unrestricted food programs: add 2 cups of cooked chicken or cooked shellfish or cooked meat.
Something for everyone! Tastes great with a side of cornbread.
My cookbook Small Kitchen Big Flavors! is available at a great Introductory Price on Ebay and my blog site at : http:/smallkitchenbigflavorsblog.wordpress.com