Here is an RV Galley tip on how to prepare a tasty twist on baking some crunchy asparagus!
Asparagus is in season and one of the easiest vegetables to prepare using quick simple prep and cooking or baking. I combined the following ingredients I had on hand and experimented with making a baked asparagus the way my mom would prepare baked chicken… using a 3 bowl breading method.
The results were great and I found the medium thickness asparagus spears developed a pleasant stiffness while cooking making them a perfect appetizer for dipping or a finger food for snacking in addition to a tasty side dish or vegetarian main dish. Here's the recipe I came up with. Enjoy!
1 lb. fresh asparagus (medium width), rinsed, pat dry
1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup canned, fried onions rings
1/2 cup flour
2 eggs, raw, beaten slightly
sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Rinse asparagus, pat dry, cut off the lower 2″ of the spears.
2. Prepare a breading station using 3 cereal type bowls for coating the asparagus prior to cooking or baking.
3. Bowl #1: flour, seasoned with salt and pepper. Bowl #2: 2 eggs, lightly beaten. Bowl #3 crushed store bought canned fried onions rings. Combine with the panko.
4. Use 1 hand for dry coating and the other hand for wet coating. Dip a few spears at a time into the flour mixture then toss them into the egg mixture. Use the other hand to lift the spears from the egg wash to the panko mixture. Swith to your dry hand and lift the spears from the Panko mixture, set aside.
5. Prepare your heat source. I used convection bake on my RV Galley micro/oven,preset the temperature to 350 F degrees then baked the spears for 10 minutes.
The asparagus can be cooked by other means easily also: a hot skillet with a couple tbsp. of cooking oil placed on a grill or stovetop until fork tender works out fine as a cooking method also.