Here’s one of our RV Recipes sure to please as it’s a bit of a comfort food – Chicken Tortilla Soup. It’s perfect for Fall weather
- 1 Here’s one of our RV Recipes sure to please as it’s a bit of a comfort food – Chicken Tortilla Soup. It’s perfect for Fall weather
- 2 RV Recipes Basic Ingredients for Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 3 RV Recipes Directions
- 4 Want more RV Recipes? My cookbook Small Kitchen Big Flavors! is available at a great Introductory Price on eBay and my blog site at: http:/smallkitchenbigflavorsblog.wordpress.com
When September rolls around each year I start thinking of warm comfort foods and Chicken Tortilla soup is right up at the top of my list! A nice bowl of soup for lunch or dinner when we’re camping and the weather is brisk or rainy seems just right.
Make it simple
When planning a week of menu plans prior to camping I include some ‘Make Ahead’ meals and some pantry meals in addition to a few grilled meals. Not only does this free up some of my time to hike and explore the destinations we are visiting, but it also ensures variety. I found doing these few planning steps keeps me from grabbing food on the go from a fast-food drive-through or struggling with raiding the fridge or pantry for a make-do kind of meal.
I like to have staples onboard that are planned and follow the recipe I’m going to follow. Chicken Tortilla soup is one of my must-have items on my planning list. I like the versatility of the dish as much as I enjoy the warm spicy flavors. This soup makes a great lunch or dinner and the leftovers (need to be refrigerated) but are wonderful to heat up as a repeat menu item in a day or two.
Since the soup ingredients listed in the primary recipe are all pantry stable if unopened, you’ll be able to pretty much ‘heat and eat’.
Note: ‘Canned food’ tend to have excess sodium, so read the labels. Purchase low sodium chicken broth, rinse the canned chicken and canned beans well under running water, washing off some of the excess sodium.
Now if you feel like ‘kickin’ this recipe up a notch while camping or at home… you can definitely enhance and add some fresh substitutions and additional condiments…
Consider substituting rotisserie or leftover cooked chicken. Other toppings can be added perhaps a dollop of sour cream, and a sprinkle of shredded cheese, a few sprigs of cilantro and/or diced avocado.
If you want to keep it simple just follow the basic ‘pantry’ recipe and it will actually taste homemade and delicious.
Adapt this recipe as needed to
RV Recipes Basic Ingredients for Chicken Tortilla Soup
28 oz low sodium boxed chicken broth or bone broth
10 oz can cooked chicken breast
15 oz can white navy beans or black or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
10 oz can diced tomatoes with diced green chilis
8 oz can salsa of choice (I used Paul Newman pineapple salsa)
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 cup tortilla chips
RV Recipes Directions
- Rinse and drain canned: chicken and beans. Add to a large saucepan.
- Pour in broth, diced tomatoes and juices, and salsa into the saucepan and stir,
- Cook over medium heat until the soup is warmed to the desired temperature.
- Pour or ladle the soup into large coffee mugs or individual serving bowls.
- Add a squeeze of lime juice to each bowl, stir.
- Top with crumbled tortilla chips and serve.
Additional Chicken Tortilla Soup Toppings (totally optional)
1/2 cup grated cheddar or pepper jack cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1 diced avocado
1 lime cut a small wedge of lime per person; when ready to serve the soup, add a squeeze of lime and stir.
Want more RV Recipes? My cookbook Small Kitchen Big Flavors! is available at a great Introductory Price on eBay and my blog site at: http:/smallkitchenbigflavorsblog.wordpress.com
Comments are closed.