Soup is always good, easy to prepare and perfect as an RV Recipe!
Here's my RV Recipe for Tomato Basil Soup:
Add the ingredients to a Dutch oven, large saucepan or soup pot.
1. 1/2 c. olive oil
2. 5 slices of day-old rustic bread
3. 1 tsp salt
4. 1/2 tsp oregano
5. 1 tbsp minced garlic or 1/2 tsp garlic powder
6. 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
7. 10 basil leaves torn in 3 – 4 pieces per leaf
8. 2 lbs. large ripe tomatoes, peeled, cut in large dice sized pieces
9. 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
Bring ingredients to a boil, lower heat and simmer covered for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Soup is done when the bread breaks down and the soup thickens. For creamer soup emulsify the cooled soup in small batches not to exceed 1/2 level in the pot or blender. An imursion blender can be placed directly in a pot 1/2 filled with cooled soup.
Note: To create a deeper flavor profile: Saute' the diced onions for 2 minutes in 2 tbsp. of olive oil, add diced garlic or garlic powder, oregano and peeled diced tomatoes. Sprinkle a tsp of sugar over the tomatoes and drizzle the tomatoes with 1 tsp of balsamic vinegar. Add remaining ingredients, bring the soup to a boil then simmer for 90 minutes.