This is not your traditional Italian wedding soup but the flavor profile is one that will not disappoint.
Whether you are cooking for a crowd or making a batch of this soup to package and freeze to have some make-ahead meals readily available, your investment in time and ingredients are sure to reward you ten fold with this special RV Recipe.
I realize summer is grilling season however I tend to enjoy a great tasting soup most any time of year whether it is a brisk night huddled around a campfire or sitting in my camp chair while soft summer evening breezes gently drift by.
- Chef MJ
Instant Pot (IP) 6 quart
Serves 10 – 12
RV Recipe Ingredients
19 oz mild Italian sausage
19 oz hot Italian sausage
8 oz uncooked, bacon
64 oz organic chicken broth
1/2 red onion, diced (or substitute 1 tsp onion powder)
2 cloves garlic, minced (or substitute 1 tsp garlic powder)
1/2 – 2/3 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 – 2/3 tsp Montreal steak seasoning (or substitute black pepper and a few dashes of sea salt)
1/2 – 2/3 tsp dried basil flakes or spice
1/2 – 2/3 tsp dried oregano or spice
4 6″ (med/large) russet potatoes, rinsed, peeled, diced
5 oz bag baby spinach, prewashed
1 cup heavy cream or half and half
1 cup shaved or freshly grated parmesan cheese
RV Recipe Directions
- Remove sausage from casings. Cut or divide each link into 6 pieces, set aside.
- Cut each strip of bacon into 4 equal slices then place in Instant Pot on SAUTE’ mode. Stir as needed for a minute or 2 then add diced fresh onion, stir again for a minute then add freshly minced garlic. Stir for a minute.
- Add sausage pieces and seasonings, stir until lightly browned.
- Add chicken broth, stir. Turn IP off.
- Peel rinsed potatoes, cut them in half lengthwise then slice into 1/4 inch (half moon) slices.
- Add potatoes to the IP but DO NOT stir.
- Close IP lid and steam vent. Set heat to MANUAL 5 minutes. Allow the IP to natural release for 10 minutes, then open the steam valve for a quick release of the remainder of steam.
- Open the IP, remove 1 – 2 cups of potatoes from the pot and lightly puree using the back of a fork. Return the potatoes to the IP and stir.
- Add the baby spinach and stir.
- Add the heavy cream or half and half, stir. The mixture may thicken ever so slightly due to the starch of the potato but this soup is actually more broth-like.
- Pour individual servings into bowls and top with freshly grated parmesan.
If you are looking for other RV recipes, food pairings or over 105 recipes that are designed for those who travel in an RV r camper, check out my cookbook Small Kitchen Big Flavors! – available at a great Introductory Price on eBay and my blog site at: https:/smallkitchenbigflavorsblog.wordpress.com
Get more RV travel ideas, tips, news, and perks!
Each Monday we publish our RV Lifestyle Newsletter, where we share weekly articles about RV travel that inspire and inform. As soon as you sign up, we’ll send you for free the RV travel checklist that Jennifer and I use. You can save it to your computer and print it out for every trip like we do. No more forgetting things! Plus, besides the insider’s newsletter each Monday, you’ll get lots of special perks and RV discounts.
Enter your info below and you are in!
Curious about the gear, gadgets, accessories, and RV products Mike & Jennifer use and recommend?
On this RV Lifestyle Travel blog, our RV Podcast and our RV Lifestyle YouTube Channel, Mike and Jennifer mention all sorts of RV-related products and gear that they use, So they created a special page that lists all the different items they talk about and show. CLICK HERE to go to it directly.