Grilled Lettuce Salad??? YES… this RV Recipe is a tasty choice for a main or side dish when you are planning to fire up the BBQ or grill on an upcoming RV Adventure.
Sometimes simple dishes with a slight ‘twist' in how the dish is prepared can be a refreshing change and add another layer of flavor. So it is with this week's RV Recipe that I bet never crossed your radar before: Grilled lettuce salad.
How I discovered this RV Recipe
I first experienced grilled cabbage at a popular pop-up restaurant and was impressed with how simple ingredients can be ‘kicked up a notch' with a little creativity.
Hmmm, I thought. If you can grill cabbage why not lettuce? So I experimented with making a grilled romaine lettuce salad shortly thereafter and was surprised by how good it was!
Grilling lettuce was all new to me!
We have made plenty of grilled foods both protein, veggies, and fruit but salad greens… that was new for me, it was very easy, the presentation was good and the taste was ‘spot on'.
Here are our RV Recipe directions for making a simple grilled lettuce salad.
Serve the salad with a favorite dressing and other grilled vegetables or proteins of choice.
RV Recipe Grilled Lettuce Salad Ingredients
1 small head of romaine, rinsed, patted dry and cut down the center
1 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
fresh ground pepper and sea salt
Grilled Lettuce Salad Directions
- Lightly coat a clean cool grill with a small amount of vegetable or olive oil. Close the lid and turn the heat to medium/high.
- Rinse the regular or baby romaine lettuce under cool water, pat dry then slice the head of lettuce lengthwise.
- Using a pastry brush or clean paper towel, brush the cut side of the romaine with a small amount of cooking oil.
- Open the lid on the grill, place the romaine halves cut side down on the grill over med/high heat and cook on cut side only for approximately 2 – 2 1/2 minutes or lightly charred at the edges.
- Using grill tongs, remove the romaine from the grill and place cut side up on a plate or platter. Top with a simple salad dressing.
- Chef MJ