This lemon tart has a wonderful consistency and has a refreshing tangy taste. You can bake these in advance or prepare them easily on the stovetop after you arrive at a campsite.
Want more recipes like this? Check out my Leisure Adventure cookbook at: https://smallkitchenbigflavors.blog/
8 1/2 pint canning jars with lids
5 egg yolks
1 1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups water
6 tbsp cornstarch with 6 tbsp water
1/4 tsp salt
2 lemon, zested
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 tbsp butter
1 1/2 cups graham crackers
1/3 cup sugar
6 tbsp butter, melted
- In a medium bowl combine graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and sugar. Stir to combine.
- Place 3 heaping tbsp of the crumb mixture in the bottom of each 1/2 pint Ball jar (canning jar).
- Press crumb mixture with the back of a tbsp to form a crust then set jars aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and water. Stir and warm over medium heat until liquid comes to a boil.
- Lower heat to simmer, combine cornstarch and water slurry and add to the sugar solution.
- Whisk mixture as it simmers until the sauce thickens, then turn off the stovetop.
- In a medium bowl whisk 5 egg yolks, set aside.
- Next, gradually whisk 2 tbsp of the thickened sugar mixture into the yolk mixture. Repeat again whisking in another 2 tbsp. of the sugar mixture with the yolks.
- Add yolk mixture to the remaining sugar mixture and whisk to combine.
- Whisk in butter to the sugar mixture.
- Whisk in lemon juice and zest to the sugar mixture.
- Turn stovetop to low and simmer and stir for 2 minutes
- Pour lemon filling over the graham cracker crust lined ball jars, cool to room temperature.
- Cover the canning jars with the lids, refrigerate and enjoy within the next 4 days.
Note: You can use any homemade or store bought pie filling!