Another great RV recipe from our RV Lifestyle reporter and chef Mary Jane Curry.
Last night, I experimented with combining some familiar ingredients with a twist and came up with a tasty twist on making a burrito. The chorizo adds a little zing to the filling while the cubed pork add a nice crunch.
The filling is versatile and could be used as a nacho topping, soft taco, tostada, enchilada… you name it.
For Cinco de Mayo … this may be a show stopper!
I prepared the filling on the stovetop in our RV Galley using a heavy Dutch oven to saute' the filling then gently simmered the ingredients to blend the flavors and reduce/thicken the sauce. The results… yummy!
Makes 5 – 6 burritos or a couple of varied Mexican style meals
Cinco de Mayo RV Recipe Ingredients
3 boneless pork loin chops
1 lb ground pork chorizo sausage
10 oz green enchilada sauce
3 tbsp. vegetable oil
1/3 red bell pepper, diced
1/3 brown onion, diced
3 tbsp. all purpose flour
3 tbsp. vegetable oil
seasoning of choice or: 1/2 tsp garlic salt, 1/3 tsp black pepper, a few sprinkles of red pepper flakes and chili powder
8″ flour tortillas
1 avocado, diced
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup sour cream
- Add 1 1/2 tbsp. of oil to a heavy skillet or Dutch oven. Turn heat to medium.
- When oil is hot add diced red bell peppers and diced onions. Saute' for 5 minutes, stirring intermittently.
- Dredge cubed pork in flour and add to the pan. Saute and stir, browning the pork on all sides.
- Add the chorizo to the pan, break up any clumps and brown for 5 minutes, stir often.
- Add remaining 1 1/2 tbsp of oil and blend cubed pork and chorizo together while cooking over medium heat.
- Add a small can of green enchilada sauce to the pan. Stir, turn the heat to low. Note: Spoon off and discard any excess floating oil.
- Warm tortillas and serve your skillet of burrito filling along with sides of diced avocado, sour cream and cheese.
Here's an idea for a simple side salad
Balsamic vinegar and oil dressing: use 1 part vinegar to 3 parts oil and a squeeze of mustard and honey. Whisk the dressing and serve over fresh salad greens. Or you can look over all the RV recipes I've created here for a side dish.
Enjoy this recipe for Cinco de Mayo or anytime you want an easy meal cooked in your RV.
My cookbook Small Kitchen Big Flavors! is available at a great Introductory Price on Ebay and my blog site at : http:/smallkitchenbigflavorsblog.wordpress.com
Comments are closed.