This is a tasty rustic recipe to try out for a camping adventure. It can be made ahead or at the campsite. Try it for a breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Want more recipes like this? Check out my Leisure Adventure cookbook at: https://smallkitchenbigflavors.blog/
Preheat oven to 375 degrees or Convection 350 degrees
Prep time: 20 minutes
Bake time: 22 minutes
Recipe serves 4
9″ Pie Crust readymade
Alternate: Pat in Place Homemade Crust
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup olive oil
3 tbsp. soy or other milk
1 tsp sugar (to sprinkle on dough before adding pie filling)
3 medium sized tomatoes, (1/4″ slice)
8-10 basil leaves, fresh
drizzle of Balsamic glaze
4 oz. mozzarella, shredded
8 oz. mozzarella balls, thin sliced
salt and pepper to taste
Start with a defrosted pie crust or prepare a ‘Pat in Place’ Homemade Crust
- Pour all purpose flour and salt into the pie plate.
- In an 8 oz. measuring cup or small bowl, whisk olive oil and milk together.
- Pour oil/milk mixture into the pie plate and using the side of a fork, stir ingredients together until flour is absorbed. The dough will look like large moist pea sized clumps.
- Pat the dough in place and up the sides of the pie plate.
- Sprinkle dough with sugar.
- Layer the casserole starting with sliced tomatoes then salt and pepper, fresh basil leaves patted dry, drizzle of balsamic glaze, 1/2 shredded mozzarella, 1/2 thinly sliced ball mozzarella.
- Repeat layering one more time and bake.