The new turbo vane motor and a turbo resonator have been installed, though Mercedes calls the later a Noise Silencer. Whatever. They insist that the things they repaired were the sources of my problem when I kept losing power. I have no way of knowing whether it really was. But they gave us a rental F-150 to use all day as they did the repairs. We visited the Montana State Fair and a park along the Yellowstone River.
We hit the road again bound for Yellowstone at 5 PM. We made it all of a mile when I noticed the refrigerator was no longer working. The generator wouldn't fire up. I couldn't even get the test panel lights to come on. We turned around and went back to the dealer.
They insisted they did nothing to cause the issues. We theorized that perhaps the shore battery on my Roadtrek had gone dead as I left it on while they serviced my Roadtrek this morning so the food wouldn't spoil. It was on battery from about 1 am to 4pm
After letting the engine run a few minutes we got the test lights to come on. They shrugged. I shrugged. I was burning daylight. According to my GPS, we wouldn't arrive until close to dark. So we set off. I let everything charge for an hour as we headed west on I-90. Then we tried the fridge. The light came on but the fridge was making a sort of grinding noise. The CO2 detector started beeping.
The test lights showed the battery was low. We kept everything off. An hour and a half later at a rest stop, I tried the fridge on propane. No problem. No noise. On 12V, there was the grinding noise again, and the CO2 alarm. The generator still couldn't get enough juice to start up. I shut it off and moved on.
So that's where we are. Either the fridge is bad or the house battery, which doesn't seem to want to take a charge. Or the inverter. With my luck, probably all three.
It looks like we're not done spending yet. Our next stop is West Yellowstone, MT. I'm doubtful we'll find much help there, if we need it.
Jennifer is being a great sport about it all. She did, however point out that we could have rented a lot of very nice hotel rooms with workout areas for what this trip has cost so far. You need to understand that she works out every day. I'm not talking about taking a walk. I'm talking weights, heavy duty cardio. She's an animal. She's only managed one workout so far on this trip. She's going through exercise withdrawal. I'm lucky to be alive. I need to find her a gym.
We arrived at West Yellowstone right at dark. Powered up the RV and switched the fridge to 120V. It works fine. Solved that one.
I know the commercial power will charge the house batter so we'll see of that works.
But then… another problem: The LP gas detector started chirping. It wouldn't stop. For 45 minutes it sounded. We've read on other forums about them being touchy and I'm suspecting it has to do with the house battery running down and now being charged with the campground's electricity. There is no smell of LP so, finally, to shut it up, I pulled the fuse.
We have the windows opened just in case there is a leak but it's going to be a cold night. It's 46 degrees already, a half hour before midnight.
Update- Friday morning — The Open Mike RV Tour is back on track. Had a great night's sleep. The overnight temperature dropped to 30 degrees. We went to sleep with the sound of wolves howling from a Grizzly and Wolf attraction a half mile away. They have two resident packs there and it's an awesome sound.
Right behind my spot at the Grizzly Campground here in Yellowstone is a series of trails through a national forest. I plan to hit them late this afternoon on my mountain bike.
“Just make a lot of noise,” Kathy, at the campground office told me. “You don't want to surprise a bear.”
No way. But way cool.
We're off for our first tour of the park. I put the LP fuse back in and after a couple of chirps, it settled right down and is just glowing green now.