I made some tasty Sausage and Peppers with a splash or 2 of marsala wine in the Slow Cooker for a get together with friends. The following morning I thought… what should I do with the left overs!?!?! I settled on making a lasagna… and the results were tasty and gave the recipe a new spin!
Serves 8 * NOTE: I packaged the leftovers in quart sized freezer ziptop bags.
This could be an easy Potluck dish. I bought the sausage at the big super store (Costco), 16 sausages for $11.99!
for sausage and peppers: Combine the ingredients in a slow cooker, stir and cook on HIGH for 3 – 4 hours.
8 -12 mild Italian sausages
1 brown onion
2-3 bell peppers (yellow, orange or red)
24 oz can diced tomatoes
8 – 12 oz can tomato sauce
6 oz can tomato paste
1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
2 pinches red cayenne pepper
5 oz marsala wine
1 – 2 tbsp. sugar
To make lasagna with the leftovers… Combine the no boil noodle and white sauce as directed below:
8 – 10 no boil lasagna noodles
2 – 2 1/4 cups milk
1/4 cup flour
5 – 6 tbsp. butter
16 oz shredded mozzarella
1/2 – 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
1/3 tsp grated nutmeg
salt an pepper to taste
Meal #1 Add all Sausage and Pepper recipe ingredients into a Slow cooker. Cook 3 – 4 hours on HIGH.
Meal #2 Lasagna using the sausage and pepper leftovers and follow the instructions below: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cover and refrigerate the leftover sausage and peppers in Meal #1. Combine these leftovers with the no boil noodles and white sauce following the instructions below.
for Lasagna (Meal #20
- For lasagna: dice the sausage into medium bite sized pieces, set aside.
- In a medium saucepan make a white sauce by melting the butter over medium heat, stir in flour and whisk mixture for a few minutes over medium heat. Add nutmeg to the roux (flour/butter) mixture, stir to combine.
- Slowly add the milk, whisking for a few minutes. If the sauce thickens too much add another 1/4 cup or so of milk and stir to combine. Consistency should be like a light to medium sauce. Take sauce off heat and set aside.
- In a 9″ x 11″ casserole dish, ladle 1/4 cup of the red sauce (from the sausage and peppers) on the bottom of the casserole dish. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with a single layer of no boil lasagnas noodles then another 1/2 the red sauce.
- Add half the sliced sausage, 1/2 the white sauce, 1/2 the parmesan and 1/2 the mozzarella… then repeat the layers again.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 45 minutes. * Want more recipes like this? Check out my cookbook Small Kitchen Big Flavors! https://smallkitchenbigflavors.blog/