Fresh figs are ripe and available at some Farmers Markets and specialty grocery stores. This is a simple appetizer that can also be a fun dessert idea this summer.!
1 pkg 5 – 6 fresh figs
1 tbsp butter
1/3 cup port wine
2 tbsp honey
4 – 5 peppercorns
1/8 cup blue cheese
- In a small saucepan, bring port and honey to a boil for 2 minutes over medium heat. Take off heat, set aside.
- To a small grill pan over medium heat melt butter.
- Rinse figs, cut in half lengthwise and place flesh side down on the grill pan.
- Let the figs sear (and get some nice grill marks) for 2 minutes, flip them over for a minute then return them flesh side down on the grill for another 1 – 2 minutes.
- Remove the figs to a serving plate with the flesh side up.
- Drizzle 1/2 tsp port sauce over each fig then top the figs with a sprinkle of blue cheese and a few grates of lemon zest.
My cookbook Small Kitchen Big Flavors! is available at a great Introductory Price on Ebay and my blog site at : http:/smallkitchenbigflavorsblog.wordpress.com